Green Tea Definition
- The original color of the Camellia sinensis leaf can range from an earthy olive to a deep emerald.
- The leaf is picked and then heated to prevent oxidation.
- After it is harvested, the leaves are withered to remove excess moisture. Then they are rolled, twisted, or cut before they are finally heated through a process known as “pan firing” or “steaming”. The heat helps fix the tea’s flavor while preserving its natural aroma.
- Traditionally grown in China, Japan, and Korea, and is used in traditional Indian and Chinese medicine.
- Does naturally contain caffeine
Possible Health Benefits of Green Tea
- Most known to ease digestive issues
- Reduce blood pressure
- Reduce headaches
- Decrease tumor growth and protect against damage caused by UVB radiation
- The high level of polyphenols in tea may aid in killing cancerous cells.
- Reduce cardiovascular disease
- Lower cholesterol levels
Possible Health Correct Brewing Temperature, Time, and Why it Is Important
- 165 – 180°F for 2-4 minutes
- No thermometer? No problem! Take the tea kettle off of the heat when your small bubbles float to the surface.
- Green tea is very sensitive to temperature and time, so it is better to try and aim at the lower side of the temperature range.
- It becomes bitter if the water temperature is hotter than 180°F or the tea is infused too long.
Flavor Profile of Green Tea
- All depends on what region the tea is from
- It can be sweet, creamy, smooth, slightly grassy, or can be bitter and astringent.
- Our specific green tea flavor profile is described as follows:
- Gunpowder Special Grade from Anhui, China
- Smooth and medium-bodied with a sweet hint. It is a great introduction to green tea!
- We have this tea in two of our blends: Ginger UP! (our most popular) and EnlightenMINT.
- Ginger UP!
- MOST POPULAR TEA! We call it our “Super Tea”
- It is the perfect way to upgrade your daily routine by combining Gunpowder Special Grade Green Tea with ginger and turmeric. This delicious blend of natural ingredients boosts both health and flavor, containing powerful anti-inflammatory properties beneficial for digestion – giving you a satisfying start to each day! Grab the most popular tea that is always flying off the shelves!
- Ginger UP! is most known to ease digestive issues. Still, other health benefits of this green tea include antifungal properties, antimicrobial, reduced headaches, lowered inflammation and cholesterol, reduced cramps, and other PMS symptoms.
- This delicious green tea, flavored with lavender and peppermint, is designed to help keep stress at bay.
- These two herbs’ calming aromas and tastes will help you relax and de-stress.
- It also tastes deliciously ICED!
- This green tea is known for promoting relaxation, as well as providing antimicrobial properties for detoxification, reducing headaches and migraines, relieving nausea and digestive symptoms, clearing clogged sinuses, and improving sleep and focus.
- You can click here to try some today!
- Dragonwell Green Tea from Zhejiang, China
- Mellow, light clean up of tea is China’s most popular green tea!
- We blend our Dragonwell green tea perfectly with jasmine, delivering a light yet invigorating cup. It helps create an oasis for your soul whenever you need it! We call it Spar-TEA ON! inspired by the owner’s alma mater, but you do not have to be a Spartan to enjoy this refreshing cup of tea!
- Added health benefits include lowering cholesterol and improving brain function.
Want to read a more in-depth article about the benefits of green tea? Click here.
Want to read the herbal tea cheat sheet? Click here.