Black Tea Definition
- Tea leaves are FULLY oxidized, meaning the leaves are exposed to oxygen for a longer period of time than other teas. This oxidation process results in a stronger flavor and darker color of tea.
- Mostly grown in Northern India and China.
Possible Health Benefits of Black Tea
- Might prevent atherosclerosis
- It may lower the risk of skin, breast, lung, and prostate cancer.
- It may reduce blood pressure.
- It may help improve bone density, reducing the risk of rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson’s disease.
Correct Brewing Temperature, Time, and Why It is Important
- 208 – 212°F, steep for 4-6 minutes
- No thermometer? No problem! Wait until the water is BOILING and the tea kettle whistles at you.
- Can tolerate boiling water. If water is not hot enough, the full flavor of the black tea leaf and herbs won’t be extracted.
Flavor Profile of Black Tea
- It depends on the leaf’s region but is mostly a more robust and bold flavor.
- Breakfast Assam from Assam, India
- Hearty and malty with a nice, bright taste.
- We combine Breakfast Assam Black Tea with cinnamon’s warming, welcoming aroma with distinctive cardamom for a unique flavor we call Cozy Cup!
- What’s cardamom? It is a spice commonly used in cooking and baking. Originating in India and the Middle East, cardamom has an intense and complex flavor ranging from sweet and smoky to spicy and pungent. Savory dishes such as curries, stews, and vegetables are often seasoned with them and can also be added to desserts! We use the seeds to get that intense flavor in the tea! Try it now and experience it yourself!
- Added health benefits to this black tea include antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant, lowers cholesterol, improves gut health and focus, reduces blood pressure, lowers inflammation, reduces cramps, and other PMS symptoms.
- Lumbini OPA Large Leaf from Sri Lanka
- Large, full-bodied black tea with crispness
- We combine dried cherries from Traverse City and cacao nibs with a subtle cherry flavor for a unique black tea/hot chocolate blend. Our friends have named it the ‘boujee’ hot cocoa – so treat yourself to some guilt-free indulgence today!
- Added health benefits of this black tea include being an antioxidant, lowering cholesterol, improving gut health, and focus
- Darjeeling from the Darjeeling District of West Bengal
- While Darjeeling can be in a category all on its own, it is under the umbrella of black tea.
- HANDPICKED only three times a year from the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains. Known as the “Champagne of Teas.”
- Its delicate balance between sweet and astringent flavors makes Darjeeling tea an excellent choice for those looking for a high-grade cup of black tea.
- Our tea perfectly combines aromatic, fresh, and exotic flavors. From sweet Darjeeling to tangy orange peel and spicy ginger root combined with a hint of star anise – you can experience all these unique tastes in one delightful cup! The Motor City’s rich history inspires this creation, blending contrasting colors and flavors! Try it out!
- Added health benefits of this blend include antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, reduced headaches and migraines, reduced nausea, reduced blood pressure, and improved digestion health.
Want to read a more in-depth article about the benefits of black tea? Click here.
Want to read the green tea cheat sheet? Click here.